This much I know is true about the American Airlines bankruptcy.
1) With another record number of pilots about to opt for retirement on Dec. 1, the company could ill afford another run on cash reserves
2) The company can talk about “costs” all it wants, but the airline has systemic network and revenue problems it has yet to effectively address. Even if labor costs and productivity were “righted” — airline would only break even at current revenue levels
3) Gerard Arpey had to leave. No option.
4) Expect to see a number of other high-level departures from the AMR C suite.
5) While the pilots have taken the brunt of recent headlines, I suspect it will be the flight attendant group that will be faced with the harsher changes to their contracts as part of bankruptcy process.
PlaneBusiness Banter subscribers — this week’s re-written <!> issue will be posted later today.
Meanwhile, for our latest take on the American situation, please join our Twitter feed at @planebusiness.